help | search | members | calendar

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules collapse  

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )

What would you like to see?
KingFisher
 Posted: Sep 2 2013, 01:00 AM

Haunted

Group: Members
Member No.: 14

I have a simple question for everyone.

If we were to sit down at a table and plan out this mythos at a basic level, what would you like to see in it?

-Would you like it to simply start as a forest where we can all write our own totally unique monster concepts and then try to connect them?

-Would everyone like to have an "avatar" in this mythos, a single character you can use in stories and roleplays, that will allow you to explore the world and interact with other peoples characters?

-Would you like to start by getting together on skype or the forum and fleshing out the world at a basic level, establish locations in this world and the types of creatures/afflicted who live there, then base our stories and roleplays off of this mutually created fantasy world?

Right now we're taking the first option, it's allowing a lot of freedom and creativity but it also has a very high bar of entry for all of us since it requires full stories to flesh out concepts. It's both the best, and most difficult way of starting a new series.

I personally think the last option is the best if we're wanting to make this a full mythos, nothing needs to be set in stone, lets just come up with some guidelines based on what we've thought up...without the requirement of having to each write our own full stories in order to present these elements (thus letting people write stories about these elements simultaneously)

I also think the second idea, which is my latest, is kind of fun. If we all agreed to have one character who was "us" in this mythos then we could keep it simple and give an easy hook for new members.

"Just make up any character you want and tell a short story, others will find you and your adventure can begin"

Let me know what you guys think, which of these three...or come up with your own ways of setting up "Afflicted" so that we can work together and continue to develop this great mythos idea further.

This post has been edited by KingFisher: Sep 2 2013, 01:01 AM

Faith in chaos
Kiro Cloudwatcher
 Posted: Sep 2 2013, 04:01 AM

Watcher of Clouds

Member No.: 2

QUOTE (KingFisher @ Sep 2 2013, 07:00 AM)

-Would you like it to simply start as a forest where we can all write our own totally unique monster concepts and then try to connect them?

-Would everyone like to have an "avatar" in this mythos, a single character you can use in stories and roleplays, that will allow you to explore the world and interact with other peoples characters?

-Would you like to start by getting together on skype or the forum and fleshing out the world at a basic level, establish locations in this world and the types of creatures/afflicted who live there, then base our stories and roleplays off of this mutually created fantasy world?

The First option is what we are doing now. (Just like you said.) But we all noticed that its going too slow this way. Way too slow.
Which isn't surprising.
"Tell someone they can do anything. Most of the time, they'll do nothing."
It's not lazyness its just an overwhelming amount of freedom. The Fear mythos has a lot of freedom but it also has a set of Fears to choose from. 24 fears is less than "all the fears you can think of". Its easier to work within those blurry rules than it is to work with no rules at all.

So I think we need to set some ground rules. Not really rules, but concepts.(guidelines as you say.) Concepts we can work with. Make a Vanilla afflicted verse. From there we will be able to draw inspiration.

What I suggest is not setting each creature independently but making several types of creatures.
Probably based on what turned them into afflicted. Like Slendy's afflicted would be the original group of afflicted, but our nightlanders would be the empty city's afflicted and then those Blood flower things I suggested for the Bleeding tree would be the tree's afflicted.

Basically anything that has been turned into a monster by these things (Abstracts is what we're calling them?) is an afflicted. And instead of focusing on making each individual one, we should focus on the groups and types.

And of course the rest of their world.

As for the avatars, I already have Kirokraken. Yes he's silly but you can easily turn him into something, not silly. He would be similar to scylla from greek mythology.
A dogs(wolfs) head with several tentacles, could be scary, no? http://willowmythos.b1.jcink.com/uploads/willowmythos/OuO.gif

The best thing would be doing all three of these things at the same time, lots of work but its better than betting on only one of them to work.

user posted imageuser posted image
WereMagi
 Posted: Sep 3 2013, 03:53 AM

Forum Puppy

Member No.: 13

Why not have all three?

Once I have Willow Mythos stuff to link, I'll update this here signature.

Until then, WOOF WOOF MOFOS!
user posted image
Afterwards
 Posted: Sep 3 2013, 04:06 AM

Forum Game Master

Group Icon

Group: Mod
Member No.: 7

I agree, all three sounds coolsmazing.

I already have an Author Avatar (psst here's his blog) and could easily integrate him into the Afflictedverse.

However, if we're gonna have the KiroKraken be an actual thing, I'm assuming I'd need to have a vastly different Author Avatar for this thing...

Ragnarok
Come Day of Wrath, O Pulse l'Cie
Embrace thy fate, thine home to burn
That fallen souls may bear our plea
To hasten the Divine's return
O Piteous Wanderer, Ragnarok
Make of this day a grave epoch
Deliver the Divine, Ragnarok
KingFisher
 Posted: Sep 3 2013, 05:11 AM

Haunted

We're off to a good start with this.

I told Shadows, i'm not an artist as much as i'm a people person...I don't think i'll be able to write a coolmazing story that inspires everyone, but I can try and get a conversation started on what we all want to see in this series.

Altered Project made the mistake of thinking more monsters would make more interest, it may not have done that, but it did provide a good basis for how we can sey up these new concepts.

When i get home tomorrow I'll make a list of all the new monsters and from there we can start to sort them, or decide how we want to appraoch them.

Lets make the Altered Project the first in a line of community projects to get this series back on track.

What I suggest is not setting each creature independently but making several types of creatures.
Probably based on what turned them into afflicted. Like Slendy's afflicted would be the original group of afflicted, but our nightlanders would be the empty city's afflicted and then those Blood flower things I suggested for the Bleeding tree would be the tree's afflicted.

Yeah, this is sort of what I mean when I said we should build up a fantasy world of our own...lets figure out what races (kind of afflicted) and places (where these afflicted would be hiding) and from there get a general sense of what this world looks like besides "it's a black forest filled with monsters.

Ultimately I guess the goal will be:
-Confirm Altered Project monsters as first step
-Fantasy world framework, races and places, as the next step
-Place our avatars in this world
-Keep the forest itself as a blank slate where unrelated stories can be written and then connected

Tomorrow we begin the next great Project...the...um....World Project (name still unconfirmed)

Does this sound like a good general plan? (yeah, I'm totally making this up as I go along)

Faith in chaos
ZacksQuest
 Posted: Sep 3 2013, 12:33 PM

The Harbringer of the Funk

Member No.: 11

While I agree that "More Monsters =/= Bigger and Better", as I said in the Fear Mythos... I don't know what's going on. I is confused. :I

Willow Mythos Blogs: The Branches Take

"When I was a young boy, my father took me into the city to see a marching band.
He said, 'Son when you grow up would you be the savior of the broken the beaten and the damned?'
He said, 'Will you defeat them: your demons, and all the nonbelievers the plans that they have made?
Because one day, I'll leave you, a phantom, to lead you in the summer, to join the Black Parade."
- ("Black Parade" by My Chemical Romance)
DarkShadows
 Posted: Sep 3 2013, 10:28 PM

The Mother of the Willow

Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5

QUOTE (Kiro Cloudwatcher @ Sep 2 2013, 01:01 AM)
"Tell someone they can do anything. Most of the time, they'll do nothing."
It's not lazyness its just an overwhelming amount of freedom. The Fear mythos has a lot of freedom but it also has a set of Fears to choose from. 24 fears is less than "all the fears you can think of". Its easier to work within those blurry rules than it is to work with no rules at all.

I agree, and I'll admit that I was kind of mistaken to think that would just magically work.

So I think we need to set some ground rules. Not really rules, but concepts.(guidelines as you say.) Concepts we can work with. Make a Vanilla afflicted verse. From there we will be able to draw inspiration.

What I suggest is not setting each creature independently but making several types of creatures. Probably based on what turned them into afflicted. Like Slendy's afflicted would be the original group of afflicted, but our nightlanders would be the empty city's afflicted and then those Blood flower things I suggested for the Bleeding tree would be the tree's afflicted.

Basically anything that has been turned into a monster by these things (Abstracts is what we're calling them?) is an afflicted. And instead of focusing on making each individual one, we should focus on the groups and types.

And of course the rest of their world.

I actually dig this idea a lot. I am not so positive we need author avatars and I won't be making one, because that whole idea sounds kinda mary-sueish and iffy to me, but if people want to make author avatars I am certainly not stopping them. ^w^

the reason the willow weeps. is the willow weeps for you. user posted image

My Youtube ~ My ArtGrounds ~ My FictionPress ~ My (Personal) Blog

Creator Of: In The Dark Shadows (Willow Mythos, Complete), Open Season (Slenderman Mythos, Complete), WalkingWithGiants87 (Slendervlog, In Progress), and a lot of short Slenderstories and Fearblogpastas...
Currently Living: I am S-0001, and ICANSEETHEGIANT. My name is DarkShadows and I am a SlenderHolic.
WereMagi
 Posted: Sep 3 2013, 10:50 PM

Forum Puppy

Not making an avatar as I know it will somehow be shipped with the wooden girl.

But since this is how we are going to group our afficted... I may need to replace the wooden princess from that one short I did for my little guy then....

user posted image
DarkShadows
 Posted: Sep 5 2013, 11:24 PM

The Mother of the Willow

Group Icon

Why would you need to replace her? You can bring in Fears if you want, hell, you can even make them Abstracts or Afflicted.

Creator Of: In The Dark Shadows (Willow Mythos, Complete), Open Season (Slenderman Mythos, Complete), WalkingWithGiants87 (Slendervlog, In Progress), and a lot of short Slenderstories and Fearblogpastas...
Currently Living: I am S-0001, and ICANSEETHEGIANT. My name is DarkShadows and I am a SlenderHolic.
WereMagi
 Posted: Sep 6 2013, 03:26 AM

Forum Puppy

I decided to do something different. My Wooden Princess is different being. Might make it another Cameo-able creation. I'll write something when I feel like it. Also, not a doll. More Dryad-ish. I never actually expanded on it as I never felt like it but the idea is forming now.

user posted image
KingFisher
 Posted: Sep 7 2013, 05:23 AM

Haunted

I am not so positive we need author avatars and I won't be making one, because that whole idea sounds kinda mary-sueish and iffy to me

Be careful with the term "marysue", like so many buzz words it quickly loses meaning. Marysue only applies when the avatar is better because the author identifies with it, there is a possibility of that, but since all the monsters in this series are tragically flawed I feel there will be a balance of sorts in their ability.

If we do author-insert characters it's not even so much a way of making a "coolawesome" guy as much as it's trying to get people invested directly into this world. It's not just a bunch of stuff that happens, it's something you personally are invested in.

I'm not sure if the idea will pick up or not, but it would be a lot harder for people to forget about their creation if it had a little bit of them in it...it would also help our struggling games section by encouraging people to Roleplay their personal monster or human.

Speaking of which, are people interested in having human characters in the story?

I think this is one of the problems with Fear...when all the characters are monsters there is no mystery, how many Friday 13th movies would we watch if it was always following Jason?

The monsters will always be the stars, but perhaps having a human who is perpetually plagued by specific creatures would create a better sense of hopelessness. It would also allow that person to be important, which could then give a better sense that when they finally become afflicted that it's a tragic moment. We could see what that person was break through in this new form, as opposed to most stories where we get a few paragraphs about the person and then are expected to warm up to them as a monster.

These are all just ideas, I'll begin categorizing monsters so we can get started on this...

This post has been edited by KingFisher: Sep 7 2013, 05:24 AM

Faith in chaos
Afterwards
 Posted: Sep 7 2013, 10:29 AM

Forum Game Master

Group Icon

Group: Mod
Member No.: 7

QUOTE (KingFisher @ Sep 7 2013, 05:23 AM)
Be careful with the term "marysue", like so many buzz words it quickly loses meaning. Marysue only applies when the avatar is better because the author identifies with it, there is a possibility of that, but since all the monsters in this series are tragically flawed I feel there will be a balance of sorts in their ability.

Pardon my French, but it's two words. tongue.gif

If we do author-insert characters it's not even so much a way of making a "coolawesome" guy as much as it's trying to get people invested directly into this world. It's not just a bunch of stuff that happens, it's something you personally are invested in.

I'm not sure if the idea will pick up or not, but it would be a lot harder for people to forget about their creation if it had a little bit of them in it...it would also help our struggling games section by encouraging people to Roleplay their personal monster or human.

I feel the avatars should be optional, and not something that everyone has to do. I do have a series of monsters planned based on each of us, but those are meant to be jokes...

As well, I get the feeling the Roleplay section might just be permanently dead. We should probably wait until we have more people before we try to resurrect it again.

Speaking of which, are people interested in having human characters in the story?

I think this is one of the problems with Fear...when all the characters are monsters there is no mystery, how many Friday 13th movies would we watch if it was always following Jason?

Er... Humans exist. Yeah, there's monsters, but what makes them interesting is how they interact with the heroes (usually by trying to kill them in increasingly creative ways).

The monsters will always be the stars, but perhaps having a human who is perpetually plagued by specific creatures would create a better sense of hopelessness.

That IS what most Fearblogs are about tho...

It would also allow that person to be important, which could then give a better sense that when they finally become afflicted that it's a tragic moment. We could see what that person was break through in this new form, as opposed to most stories where we get a few paragraphs about the person and then are expected to warm up to them as a monster.

This is actually a really good idea (which I'm surprised hasn't been done before actually). It does seem to be a better format than what we've been going with until now. Once we get all these things sorted out into the "canon", for lack of a better word, I might just try something like this. Speaking of...

Ragnarok
Come Day of Wrath, O Pulse l'Cie
Embrace thy fate, thine home to burn
That fallen souls may bear our plea
To hasten the Divine's return
O Piteous Wanderer, Ragnarok
Make of this day a grave epoch
Deliver the Divine, Ragnarok
ZacksQuest
 Posted: Sep 7 2013, 01:25 PM

I wouldn't even make it that pleasant. My personal idea is that all Afflicted feel- well, like Jimmy from I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, trapped, mutated into something soulless and inhuman, in gut-wrenching pain for all eternity spent being a cosmic entity.

"When I was a young boy, my father took me into the city to see a marching band.
He said, 'Son when you grow up would you be the savior of the broken the beaten and the damned?'
He said, 'Will you defeat them: your demons, and all the nonbelievers the plans that they have made?
Because one day, I'll leave you, a phantom, to lead you in the summer, to join the Black Parade."
DarkShadows
 Posted: Sep 8 2013, 11:12 PM

The Mother of the Willow

Group Icon

QUOTE (ZacksQuest @ Sep 7 2013, 10:25 AM)
I wouldn't even make it that pleasant. My personal idea is that all Afflicted feel- well, like Jimmy from I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, trapped, mutated into something soulless and inhuman, in gut-wrenching pain for all eternity spent being a cosmic entity.

That's exactly it. That's exactly what I kinda hoped people would use this Mythos for, not just for the monsters but for humans as well. I was hoping for less of the monster creation, and more of the use of monsters we already have. We have enough monsters now, let's actually use them in stories that make sense. smile.gif That's the lifeblood and underlying feel of this Mythos. That, and humans struggling before something like that happens, or dealing with knowing the monsters after them were once human (perhaps even former friends or loved ones). It's all one big pain-fest for everyone.

ABSOLUTELY! I like your suggestion for the idea of "People chased by Afflicted attract Abstracts, who then Afflict those humans". Or, "People already Afflicted attract other Afflicted, who may or may not be helpful or harmful, and at the same time they are dealing with themselves becoming monstrous."

Be careful with the term "marysue", like so many buzz words it quickly loses meaning. Marysue only applies when the avatar is better because the author identifies with it.

I don't know how experienced you are with writing (I will assume you are because of your work with the Holerds), but it sounds to me like you're unaware of the fine line between "OC the author uses because they like them a lot and there's a lot of themselves in them" and "Mary Sue". A Mary Sue is a character that is an OC, based on the author's idealized version of themselves, that does everything better than the rest of the characters. They are always the "Chosen One" and the only person who can resolve the problem. They are always "Special" in some way, and are rarely just the Everyman. They never go through too many character changes. They never do wrong, and when they do, something else comes along and fixes it. They are never hurt TOO badly when other characters are. Truly balanced author OCs experience character changes, they suffer, they struggle, they act believably human, and things never just "turn out okay" for them, they have to work at it. Not everyone likes them, not everyone is helpful to them, and they are not always impossibly good at stuff the Author wishes they were good at. Mary Sues can be blatant, subtle, or subverted... and STILL be Mary Sues. You can have the antithesis of a Mary Sue, and it's still considered a Sue. You can have a Sue with a few flaws that make sense, and if their actions are unbelievable enough, they will still be considered a Mary Sue. Being a Mary Sue or not is about how *believable* the character is or not, NOT just about how much the author identifies with it (that's a pretty common misconception that only applies to your stereotypical Sue). Although most Mary Sues ARE self-insert Author Avatars, it is possible to write a character that is considered Sueish and is NOT a self-insert.

Nobody's going to believe an OC that can fight off a bunch of Afflicted or deal perfectly well with being Afflicted. Nobody will believe an OC that can come away from an Abstract unscathed. Nobody's going to believe a character that is brutally physically tortured and altered, and is totally unaffected or fine with it. But that is what I feel your suggestion might indirectly end up causing - a bunch of new authors with OCs that are doing too well in a horror universe where nobody should be doing all that well at all, unless you're writing a comedy or something. Just because many of, for example, Lovecraft's human characters were reporters or authors, does not mean that any of them ended up any better off in the end. No Runner in the Slenderman Mythos has ever ended up completely okay and was ever believable if they did (Just look at the shitstorm around the Slenderblog "H(a)unting" for an example of what can happen when things become too unbelievable). No person stalked by or in contact with Fears in the Fear Mythos was ever 100% capable of dealing with them 100% of the time by the end, even in stories where they DO fight them off and survive alright. To claim otherwise for this Mythos ruins the point of what this Mythos is trying to do, and what the underlying themes are.

I'm not shutting you down, and I'm not trying to say your idea won't work. But I'm sorry, Eric, I still disagree with you on the idea that we NEED Author Avatars to make human characters in this Mythos, and I think we're probably ALWAYS going to disagree on that. I just can't see how blatantly encouraging people to make self-insert characters, especially with younger, less experienced authors at the helm, will lead to much else but Mary Sues - and trust me, I have been writing fiction for over ten years (a good chunk of it fanfiction), I've seen more than enough Sues, and I do NOT use the term "Mary Sue" without due cause for it (nor would I ever just use it as a "buzz word"). I think you're failing to realize that not all authors are good at making OCs (especially new ones, nobody is born being 100% good at writing), and when they do, they tend to be idealized versions of themselves a lot of the time. While WE might be experienced enough authors to understand when an OC becomes a Mary Sue and fix it before that happens, newer authors coming in probably won't be and they WILL make this mistake.

Honestly, writing an author avatar is just ONE way to go about making an OC, and should NOT be the focus of how human characters are made in this Mythos any more than any other method. Nobody gets good at writing by basing every single character they create off idealized images of themselves OR by constantly writing the same author avatar over and over again, they get good at it by exploring people with traits outside their comfort zone. That's not something that can be done when people coming in think our Mythos exemplifies the idea of, "Oh hey, you don't have to give characters compelling traits and step outside your comfort zone TOO much, just base it on a much better version of yourself!" I know not everyone will take it that way. But some people might, and they might come away with the wrong impression.

My point is, author avatars? Should absolutely exist, and absolutely be optional, just ONE means of making a human character and not THE means of doing so. Not even the recommended means of doing so. There's other ways to do it and new authors can be taught how. My big worry is that if everyone does an OC that exemplified themselves and everyone chooses to write stories like the type you suggest, this Mythos will get very repetitive, very quickly. It's a step in the right direction for new authors, though. :3

Also, as Afterwards points out, "Mary Sue" is two words, not one. tongue.gif

it would also help our struggling games section by encouraging people to Roleplay their personal monster or human.

Sorry to burst your bubble again, Eric, but our Roleplay section had more interest than the entire rest of the forum before it died. All I ever heard people talk about was the Roleplay games, and the forum games, and all the extra crap that should really not be the focus of the forums. This isn't a Roleplay forum. This is a Mythos forum. While I'd love to see some WTA Roleplays going on, that's not really what this forum is for. Unless you're suggesting we make this whole Mythos a Roleplay-only Mythos, which, to be honest? I'm starting to wonder if that's not the best way to go now. As for the Roleplay Section, I agree with Afterwards, here:

I get the feeling the Roleplay section might just be permanently dead. We should probably wait until we have more people before we try to resurrect it again.

ZacksQuest
 Posted: Sep 9 2013, 05:17 PM

Everything DarkShads said about Overpowered (OP) Characters / Mary Sues / Marty Stus.

There is suspension of disbelief. All fiction requires suspension of disbelief. I CAN believe, say, an Afflicted or even an Abstract can die if exposed to enough force from enough millions of people, but ONE person flinging around the sword and going around and changing reality because he can?

Yeah fuck no. That's jumping the shark. No decent horror blog would jump the shark that totally and completely. And- in the end- this series is MEANT to be written as HORROR. Action blogs are fine. But mainly this is horror- not even horror of the physical level. It's horror of the psychological level. It's about losing everything that makes you human. It's about knowing that you're just a mouse to be tested by beings greater than your finite, human mind ever would your could. You are the lab rat, and the Abstract are the scientists. Let the tests fucking begin.

Sorry about the cursing. I like cursing. I take inspiration from early Stephen King so... whoops, sorreh. :T

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Pages: (2) 1 2 

afraidOftheDark skinned by jacquelyn of RPGD · RPGC · CAUTION · ATF · RCR · SHADOWPLAY