help | search | members | calendar

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules collapse  

Things that bother you about blogs
Zephy
 Posted: Sep 28 2013, 06:44 PM

New Blood

Group: Members
Member No.: 27

Post things about what bloggers (in general, no pointing the finger) do that urks ya.

For me, it's when they break the fourth wall IN their own blog.
NoFourthWall
 Posted: Sep 29 2013, 12:21 PM

Stalked

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (Zephy @ Sep 28 2013, 11:44 PM)
Post things about what bloggers (in general, no pointing the finger) do that urks ya.

Yeah I hate it when that happens... *whistles*
WereMagi
 Posted: Sep 29 2013, 07:24 PM

Forum Puppy

Member No.: 13

QUOTE (NoFourthWall @ Sep 30 2013, 03:21 AM)
QUOTE (Zephy @ Sep 28 2013, 11:44 PM)

Yeah I hate it when that happens... *whistles*

I agree. *twiddles thumbs*

Once I have Willow Mythos stuff to link, I'll update this here signature.

Until then, WOOF WOOF MOFOS!
user posted image
Zephy
 Posted: Sep 30 2013, 09:41 AM

New Blood

Member No.: 27

Q_Q...
NoFourthWall
 Posted: Oct 1 2013, 01:44 PM

Stalked

Member No.: 3

In all seriousness though, I hate it when people use the fact that Slender Man is somewhat famous to justify not describing what it is. I know I'm guilty of doing that with some of my Fear blogs but even when I do that I do my best to explain what the Fears are later.
DarkShadows
 Posted: Oct 13 2013, 12:22 AM

The Mother of the Willow

Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5

People who make Proxies and Fear Servants do stuff that either they have no business doing, or that their master could do for themselves. Sorry, no, you don't need a Proxy for watching someone or killing someone when Slendy can do both of those himself. Now let me make this very clear: I do NOT hate Proxies or Fear Servants. What I *do* hate is people adding shit for no other reason than it to be one more level of abstraction, or because it's a common trope and they are under the misconception that they have to use it. I hate mindless drone characters that don't have personalities, and most often people write Proxies like that when they aren't being used in a story focused on them. If you're using those characters, think about why you are using them, and give them at least some sort of minor back story or personality. And keep these things in mind:

List of reasons a Servant/Proxy should be used in a story:
  • To do things Slendy/the Fear in question could not do for themselves, for good reason. Good reasons include things like: Slendy flat out cannot do it in your universe, Slendy needs another set of eyes, Slendy is unable to talk, etc.
  • To interact with humans in ways that only humans can do. Eldritch beings have trouble working with humans in ways that don't involve sanity loss and severe trauma to the human in question.
  • To break the target by turning a friend or trusted ally into an enemy. If the protag doesn't notice until it's too late, take bonus special points.
  • To amass forces against a credible threat to Slendy/the Fear in question. Credible threats include other Fears, beings more powerful than the being in question, and severe world-destroying RAPTURE-level shit. Not the damn army, not a bunch of ragtag Runners, and sure as hell not one person.
  • To tell a story about the life of a Proxy/Servant and their adventures and misadventures. This has been done to the point of cliche though, so I'd try to get more creative with it.
  • Because your story seriously, really could not adequately function as you intend it to without a Proxy/Servant being there. If you really, really think this is the case, then use the character. But if you can rewrite it in such a way that it works without the Proxy character, without compromising the core of the story too much, then you do not need to add a Proxy character.
List of reasons you should NOT use a Proxy/Servant in a story:
  • To be cool. Proxies are not cool anymore. What they are is overdone. Fear Servants could get the same way if you're not careful. It's not cool, and not unique. Be different, that's what cool is.
  • To have redshirts you can kill off shamelessly. No point to this, unless your story involves a war or battle of some sort. And remember, casualties should occur on *both sides*, NOT just one.
  • To do something for Slendy/a Fear that said being is just too lazy to do themselves. For example, a Proxy mentally taunting someone by stalking them when *the Slenderman already does exactly this*.
  • Because everyone else is doing it. Think outside the box, you get nowhere by repeating the same formula ad nauseam. That's how we get stagnant blogs.
  • Because all the good Slenderblogs/Fearblogs have servants... which isn't even true anyway.
  • Because a blog you're crossing over with has Proxies/Servants. You don't need to adopt the mold of the universe you're crossing over with, just the rules of that universe. Follow the rules, but not so much that you forget and completely forgo what makes your story unique.
  • As an army to use against an army of humans. Come on, that's not even a fair fight, plus it's a recipe for making your human protags into super-powered creatures.
  • To have another credible threat besides the main one. No. Your main being is powerful enough to serve as the main threat. Get creative and stop ripping off the Observer and Redlight. Proxies should NOT have that much power, and they should NOT overshadow the Main Man himself. Same for most Fear Servants - Timberwolves do NOT overshadow the Archangel, for example, but in cases of hiveminds like EAT (who uses people as a way of continuing to spread influence) this might be permissible.

Bottom line, if you don't need a Proxy or servant? You don't need to add one in. I would argue that you almost NEVER need to use one, and the monster should shine through, not the servants, but that depends on the story and the context of the events therein. Your mileage WILL vary on this, and for the most part Proxies are not all bad.

the reason the willow weeps. is the willow weeps for you. user posted image

My Youtube ~ My ArtGrounds ~ My FictionPress ~ My (Personal) Blog

Creator Of: In The Dark Shadows (Willow Mythos, Complete), Open Season (Slenderman Mythos, Complete), WalkingWithGiants87 (Slendervlog, In Progress), and a lot of short Slenderstories and Fearblogpastas...
Currently Living: I am S-0001, and ICANSEETHEGIANT. My name is DarkShadows and I am a SlenderHolic.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

afraidOftheDark skinned by jacquelyn of RPGD · RPGC · CAUTION · ATF · RCR · SHADOWPLAY