help | search | members | calendar

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules collapse  

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Discussing characters for the Altered Project, or: how I learned to love discussion
KingFisher
 Posted: Jul 13 2013, 03:00 AM

Haunted

Group: Members
Member No.: 14

If you've read my thread on "The Altered Project" then you know that the discussion of the writing is more important then the writing itself.

This is a good place to put down ideas for characters, either ones you want to use or ones other might like.

This is also a place to ask other about how you could use an old character in your story; Finding ways to incorporate a lesser known Altered creatively is more effective then simply mentioning Slenderman (though either is allowed to fulfill the requirement)

Inspiring and being inspired are the goals of this thread....so go ahead and let us know what you're thinking; Remember they don't have to be altered necessarily, any character who could show up in a story can be talked about here.

...and yes, if you want to to have some fun and post joke or parody characters I'd love to hear it!

This post has been edited by KingFisher: Jul 13 2013, 03:02 AM

Faith in chaos
Afterwards
 Posted: Jul 13 2013, 03:03 AM

Forum Game Master

Group Icon

Group: Mod
Member No.: 7

So I propose an idea for a new Altered: I call her the Seeress.

She spends all her time hidden in her cave, hiding from the Slender Man. She still requires food to survive, so she feeds mainly on rodents and other forest animals that happen to crawl into her cave. However, she still feels bad about eating humans and tries to keep them safe when possible... But her hunger and her visions usually prevent her from doing so.

She looks very un-human, all her features are warped and distorted into a jumbled mess, so much so that she is much more reminiscent of a large spiderweb, stretching across the cave. Her skin is dark brown and wrinkles, and she uses many appendages to move around and grab things.

At the center of her being is a vaguely human head. Most of her hair missing, and what's left of it is brittle and gray. Her mouth is very large and filled with razor-sharp teeth, which she uses to rip the flesh off her victims. She has five eyes on her face, and several more distributed around her body. They are all milky white and pupil-less.

Through these eyes, however, she can see different things. The past, the future, far away and really close up. What she sees is entirely involuntary, and often traumatizing.

So that's my Altered. I have my own headcanon for her specific origins, but I won't bother you guys with that just yet.

This post has been edited by Brahian: Jul 13 2013, 04:20 AM

Ragnarok
Come Day of Wrath, O Pulse l'Cie
Embrace thy fate, thine home to burn
That fallen souls may bear our plea
To hasten the Divine's return
O Piteous Wanderer, Ragnarok
Make of this day a grave epoch
Deliver the Divine, Ragnarok
SoulEatingBunny
 Posted: Jul 13 2013, 03:53 PM

The Father of the Willow.

Group Icon

Member No.: 6

I suck at writing so I'll sketch some pictures.

user posted image

Brah is this what you had in mind for Seeress? I tried to match the description the best I could. Should the face be more human?

user posted image
Main YouTube
Gimble And Gyre
Corvidaek
FluffyBunny0x0
Afterwards
 Posted: Jul 13 2013, 04:22 PM

Forum Game Master

Group Icon

That looks amazing Bunny, I love it. You are awesome ^^

Ragnarok
SoulEatingBunny
 Posted: Jul 13 2013, 10:30 PM

The Father of the Willow.

Group Icon

Member No.: 6

Here's a pic for Kiro's story

user posted image

user posted image
Main YouTube
Gimble And Gyre
Corvidaek
FluffyBunny0x0
Kiro Cloudwatcher
 Posted: Jul 13 2013, 10:36 PM

Watcher of Clouds

Member No.: 2

Woot ^ biggrin.gif

user posted imageuser posted image
The Administrator
 Posted: Jul 13 2013, 11:44 PM

The Administrator

Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

The thing from "Control of life"

It's called The Controller, is an altered whose body has been taken away and it clings to you, sucking out your life, making you the opposite of who you are or who you want to be.

It appears as a game controller on ones back, but not anyone can see it.

⊗ The Administrator is always watching. ⊗
DarkShadows
 Posted: Jul 14 2013, 06:08 PM

The Mother of the Willow

Group Icon

Member No.: 5

I have a concept idea for an Altered that looks almost perfectly human... except for a few key things. I am going to call it "The Hunter", or by its German name "Der Jaeger/Jager" (I do not have the proper keyboard for the right letter, sorry). This being looks almost human, in fact from a distance it looks perfectly human. But you get up close... it has hundreds of eyes for a face, its hair is stringy and black and its flesh is sickly pale, its mouth is filled with razor-sharp fangs that secrete acidic venom potent enough to burn through steel, and its hands are sickle-like claws for the fingers. It is twitchy, it is fast, it is strong enough to tear down doors, and it clacks its teeth together constantly, chittering to itself. It does not speak, but it is about human level in terms of intellect, and it can appear as male or female. It is extremely good at adapting to its environment, and can even "hyper-evolve", growing new adaptations and tools for any environment it exists in. As for food, it will hunt everything and anything - humans, Altereds, animals, even the Slenderman himself if it wanted (it despises him and wishes him dead). It is voracious, persistent, sadistic, powerful, and more often than not, hungry. Its sole purpose in life is to be the apex predator of all things - to hunt things, anything, and destroy them. Basically, it's everything Slenderman would have wanted in an Altered Proxy... gone horribly right, and having rebelled. It is the Altered's version of the Bogeyman (in fact an alternate name for it IS "The Bogeyman/Boogeyman"), and an example of something even the Slenderman himself would be horrified to have created.

It was inspired partially by the idea of monsters having their own monsters to deal with, and partially by various monsters I've seen in fiction, including zombies, those creepy Japanese ghost girls, the Raptors from Jurassic Park, and internet-created monsters (specifically the Rake).

Now, I have a story idea, it may or may not be multi-chaptered, it may or may not be short, and it may or may not have multiple parts. It would concern a meeting between the Willow and the Slenderman, two bitter adversaries living in different areas of the same forests of the world, to discuss the encroaching threat that is The Hunter. Both must now work together to drive this threat out of the world and isolate it in such a way that it cannot be as harmful (particularly to themselves) as it currently is. Not that such a solution would necessarily be particularly helpful for humans... But hey, Altereds are transhuman, and this IS survival of the fittest we're talking about...

the reason the willow weeps. is the willow weeps for you. user posted image

My Youtube ~ My ArtGrounds ~ My FictionPress ~ My (Personal) Blog

Creator Of: In The Dark Shadows (Willow Mythos, Complete), Open Season (Slenderman Mythos, Complete), WalkingWithGiants87 (Slendervlog, In Progress), and a lot of short Slenderstories and Fearblogpastas...
Currently Living: I am S-0001, and ICANSEETHEGIANT. My name is DarkShadows and I am a SlenderHolic.
Kiro Cloudwatcher
 Posted: Jul 14 2013, 06:57 PM

Watcher of Clouds

Member No.: 2

QUOTE (DarkShadows @ Jul 15 2013, 12:08 AM)
    It would concern a meeting between the Willow and the Slenderman, two bitter adversaries living in different areas of the same forests of the world, to discuss the encroaching threat that is The Hunter. Both must now work together to drive this threat out of the world and isolate it in such a way that it cannot be as harmful (particularly to themselves) as it currently is.

And then they fall in love.

user posted imageuser posted image
KingFisher
 Posted: Jul 16 2013, 03:26 AM

Haunted

Member No.: 14

You guys are great, I love the enthusiasm!

Bunny,

First I have to comment on your pictures, wonderful job. I love alternate mediums and visual art goes well with stories, already I can see us having a nice collection of work for the site.

Tomorrow I'll be writing the full concept out for my own Altered and I expect pictures eventually tongue.gif

Espequin,

It's a literal game controller?

I can imagine that being a bit of an odd image, however the idea is solid. I've always said the monsters in this series need their own image, and each having a different "flaw" to exploit in people is something to look at.

I can see the idea of being "opposite of what you want" giving a lot of room in terms of story ideas, there variety in how you can approach that.

Brah,

I love the concept for the design, I've never heard of anything quite like it. I love the obvious spider influences, and the idea that she's both appalling and sympathetic works well. I'd love to see it pop up in different stories, my only question is if it can actually move between caves or if there is only one place it can be found.

Shadows

That's a well thought out concept, and well though out post!

I can see the obvious Rake influences and find the idea of something that directly opposes other Altered to be great, I do plan on using this creature in a story specifically as an enemy for my Altered due to it's value coming from killing various targets over the course of a story...anyone who knows me, knows where my inspiration lies and when the Nightseekers begin to show up I imagine the Jaeger being a predator of their kind.

The idea that this thing is almost too perfect is another wonderful aspect, I can imagine it being around for a long time (even if temporarily solved) as a sort of recurring enemy in various stories.

I also like the idea of the main story arch involving both Willow and slenderman as their relationship is literally the base concept of this entire Mythos. As he "mother of willow" I am interested in seeing where you take it.

As for me, I'll be writing a full post (maybe even thread) on my own Altered concept tomorrow when i'm not tired and in crippling pain. I want to say this is coming along well, for the first week we've gotten off to an amazing start and as we get people like Wally and Jordan to join the fun we're only going to be finding new ways for these characters to interact.

I have a few other friends interested in joining, slowly over the summer I can see us really filling in some gaps with this Mythos and getting the energy back to where it needs to be.

Thank you all for being part of this effort, this is really wonderful work.

This post has been edited by KingFisher: Jul 16 2013, 03:26 AM

Faith in chaos
Afterwards
 Posted: Jul 16 2013, 05:07 AM

Forum Game Master

Group Icon

An idea that was inspired from Shadows asking for a very spider-like Altered. Since I can't yet think of how to go about writing a story for her, but I will soon, trust me. I already have something planned, I just need to figure out how to put it into words. Anyway, I had to look up all sorts of things about spiders just to make sure it was accurate *is now traumatized for life*

Her name is Arachne. Real creative, I know.

She makes her home within a large network of tunnels. The entrances are covered by various camouflage to ensure nothing goes venturing into them when she's not noticing. She rarely ever goes very far from her home, as she prefers to lure in her prey. While she will eat animals and sometimes other Altered if she's hungry enough, her favorite food is human.

From far away, she looks like a beautiful human female. Well, the top half of her, anyway. Her bottom half is the sternum and abdomen of an enormous spider (haven't decided yet on what kind of spider, I was thinking tarantula but black widow would also look really cool). When luring in her victims, she tends to find ways to hide her bottom half (perhaps behind large boulders or fallen trees and such).

However, as you get closer (usually not long after you notice her bottom half), you start to notice the large mandibles on her face, or the fact that she has far too many eyes. Her hair is more reminiscent of antennae, and she has said antennae-hairs all over her arms. What from far away looks like a black dress, up close you see it is actually a part of her skin, which is stiff and hard, like a shell. Her fingernails are claws and her teeth are fangs.

Once the victim is close enough, she will grab them with her clawed hands, making sure it does not escape, and sink her fangs into her prey, injecting them with venom. Afterwards, she will carry them into her cave, usually whispering to the victim how much she will enjoy eating them as her mandibles slowly close around their neck.

At the center of her tunnel network is an enormous cave where a giant spiderweb stretches across in all directions. The "silk" is extremely strong, moreso than the strongest metal alloy there is, and also extremely sticky, like flypaper for humans. Here, the victim can see many of her previous victims wrapped up within the web, waiting to be feasted upon.

If one were to escape somehow, they would never get very far, as she knows her way around the tunnels and can get across them very quickly. Even if they were to somehow find an exit, they would soon die anyway as their insides are liquefied by the venom.

And thus, my traumatizing trip through the internets is over. Please do not mention spiders to me again. Ever.

Ragnarok
Afterwards
 Posted: Jul 16 2013, 05:08 AM

Forum Game Master

Group Icon

*reads Eric's post* GAAAH SPIDERS

But ye, I was influenced slightly by spiders when I made the Seeress (for some reason...). I can sort of see these two as sort of foils to each other, since they're alike in some ways and pretty much opposites in others. However, I made this one obviously evil because she is based around spiders (whereas Seeress only has slight spider connotations) and that's what spiders will always be to me. So, if anyone wants to put her in a more sympathetic light, feel free, since I was incredibly biased about this one >_<

To answer your question, Eric, the Seeress never leaves her cave, but she can be found anywhere for the purposes of the story, as long as it's in a cave. I may think of an in-universe reason, but for now let's just say it's eldritch energy that's moving her around (maybe some form of dimensional bleeding?).

About Espie's idea: I love it. The thing about turning you into the opposite of what you want, I love that because there is *sooo* much I could do with that. Not to mention, if that were to happen to me, I would be sincerely horrified because there's a lot of things I would hate to be and *uuugggh* that would be awful.

Shadows: That sounds really cool and I think I can work something like the Jaeger into this thing I've been planning...

Bunny: I already said all that needs to be said. You are awesome bunny ILU <3

(also sorry for double posting but the other one was already getting too long >_<)

This post has been edited by Brahian: Jul 16 2013, 05:12 AM

Ragnarok
DarkShadows
 Posted: Jul 16 2013, 01:07 PM

The Mother of the Willow

Group Icon

Brah, your idea for Arachne sounds awesome. A bit cliche but awesome. I would love to see more done with her. ^w^

I'm glad you guys latched onto the Hunter/Der Jaeger so well! I'm intrigued to see what ends up happening with it, and how ambiguous or human like you make it.

Also don't worry about the double-post, you're not in trouble. :3

Creator Of: In The Dark Shadows (Willow Mythos, Complete), Open Season (Slenderman Mythos, Complete), WalkingWithGiants87 (Slendervlog, In Progress), and a lot of short Slenderstories and Fearblogpastas...
Currently Living: I am S-0001, and ICANSEETHEGIANT. My name is DarkShadows and I am a SlenderHolic.
Bravo
 Posted: Jul 16 2013, 04:58 PM

Gravu Gravu Gravu Gravu Gravu Gravu Gravu Gravu Gravu Gravu

Member No.: 19

So here's a thing my brain did. I'm tentatively naming it Shackled in Bone, but that seems odd and also very on the nose? Anyways.

Shackled appears fairly humanoid. It is thin, but not emaciated, with caucasian-ish skin tone that appears dirtied with streaks of rust and/or dried blood. Its head is almost constantly bowed, making it difficult to see its face, but even with its head raised Shackled's features are largely hidden under masses of dried blood. Pretty much only its mouth can be made out.

Shackled's arms are pinned together in front of it by two rusty metal rods, both piercing between the ulna and radius. One rod is placed just before the wrist and the other just before the elbow, and both rods have a metal loop at each end. This piercing is echoed on Shackled's legs, with the rods penetrating between the tibia and fibula. Dried blood is caked around the rods where they enter and leave the body.

A final series of piercings run down Shackled's back: hooks that are, well, hooked around the spinal column. Attached to all of these embedded hooks and rods are chains that extend behind Shackled before seeming to fade away. These chains are sometimes seen lying slack upon the ground, sometimes draping loosely into the distance, and sometimes pulled taut and straining at the flesh and bones of Shackled.

Behaviourally, Shackled in Bone is transient, showing up in locations for a time before vanishing. It does not appear to develop fixations on people as has been witnessed in creatures like the Slender Man, though humans can occasionally catch its attention. It appears this happens primarily when someone gets too near to Shackled.

When a human gets close, Shackled will raise its head and turn it towards the person. Usually no other movement accompanies this. A person under Shackled's gaze will usually lose the use of one or more limbs. The affected limb goes completely limp and numb save for a sharp, searing pain located at the wrist or elbow, the ankle or knee. Very rarely the victim will suffer complete paralysis from the neck down with pain all along the spine.

Shackled in Bone has never been known to cause more harm than these temporary paralyses, and usually disappears after a moment or two of staring at its victim. Those who suffer an 'attack' on their arm are obviously the most lucky, as they can still run away and escape Shackled's gaze. Those whose legs are affected may be able to crawl away, but those who suffer complete paralysis will have to wait until Shackled moves on.

The effects will linger for a while after being freed from Shackled's gaze, though the exact length of time varies from encounter to encounter. Victims also occasionally mention a recurring pain in the affected area, though this may simply be psychological.

So, that's my guy. It's borderline unlikely that I'll personally do something with him, but I do have an idea or two.

Things to explore with this guy: To what is he shackled? Is he trying to escape from it? Or is he dragging it along behind him? Will his presence herald the eventual appearance of some far greater horror? Whoooooooo knows!

(This post got kind of long don't hate meeee)
DarkShadows
 Posted: Jul 16 2013, 06:10 PM

The Mother of the Willow

Group Icon

Bravo there's no penalty for long posts. Hell, those are encouraged. ^w^

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Pages: (2) 1 2 

afraidOftheDark skinned by jacquelyn of RPGD · RPGC · CAUTION · ATF · RCR · SHADOWPLAY